Work in Canada

Work in Canada opens a foreign national a fair compensation, work experience in a leading developed economy and plenty of immigration opportunities.


Canada is actively seeking foreign workers and professionals that can contribute to the development of the Canadian economy. The main advantages of work in Canada are competitive wages, one of the best working conditions that are regulated by the government (overtime pay, health insurance, vacation pay, etc.). Furthermore, work in Canada gives practically guaranteed chance for staying permanently in the country of the maple leaves. Canadian work experience makes you eligible for multiple federal and provincial immigration programs.

Work Permit

Dozens of thousands of foreign nationals legally work in Canada. To be entitled to legally work in Canada, a foreign national requires a Work Permit. Work Permit can be either open or closed. Open Work Permit allows a foreign national to be employed by any Canadian employer in any industry. Closed Work Permit allows a foreign national to work only for the employer which is mentioned in the Work Permit. Your spouse or even common-law partner can also apply for an Open Work Permit.

There are several types of Work Permits in Canada:

  • LMIA-based work permits
  • LMIA Exemptions
  • Intra-Company Transfers
  • Business Visitors
  • Post-Graduation Work Permits

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document issued by the government that an employer may need to hire you. This is a document from the Government of Canada that gives your employer the right to hire a foreign worker.

LMIA Exemptions

Some jobs do not require an LMIA. Spouses and children of International Students and Foreign Workers holding a Canadian work permit for a skilled position do not require an LMIA.

Jobs included in international trade agreements, such as USMCA (former NAFTA), jobs included in an agreement between the federal and provincial government, and jobs in considered ‘significant social or cultural benefit’ for Canada may be LMIA-exempt.

An LMIA exemption may also be granted to entrepreneurs and businessman who are willing to start or operate a business in Canada.

Intra-Company Transfers

Many international corporations have offices in different countries. Corporations may need an employee to be transferred to the Canadian office. Intra-Company Transferees may be granted an LMIA exemption for a temporary transfer to Canada. Executives, managers, or specialized knowledge workers can be considered eligible for Intra-Company Transferees.

Business Visitors

Entrepreneurs/Self-Employed Persons can get Work Permit and temporary residence in order to start or operate a business in Canada. Such applicants will have to demonstrate that their business will be of significant benefit to Canada.

Post-Graduation Work Permits

Canada offers plenty of opportunities to stay in Canada permanently upon the completion of your education. A foreign graduate is eligible to apply for the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWP). This program allows you to obtain an Open Work Permit up to a three-years-long depending on the length of your study.

Temporary Resident Visa

If your country is not a visa-exempt country, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to come to Canada. Your husband/wife or common-law partner and your children may apply to come to Canada with you. To get a TRV you need to gather and prepare various documents. Awwad & Associates will help you properly prepare and collect all required documents.

Do you want to find a job and get a Work Permit in Canada? Contact Awwad & Associates to asses your perspectives!